In the Kitchen with Kang: Braised Soy-Ginger Garlic Catfish
I often wonder about our role in preserving our heritage. What should I do? Is it important? Who would even care? Would my boys want to learn?
To ease my burden, I attempted to teach my boys Vietnamese. And we regularly celebrate Chinese New Year and all the fun traditions that go along with it. It wasn't until Michael began asking for our Asian recipes that I took a little more action. I think the recipes that I post on my blog- TheLeanCEO is our feeble attempt to pass on whatever knowledge we have of our food culture. These recipes were posted out of love as much for our boys as it is for you. As always, you can find them on the blog if you're craving something out of the ordinary.
Braised Catfish recipe🏼
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp chopped garlic
4 tbsp grated ginger
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp scallions
1. Warm olive oil in pan on high.
2. Place catfish pieces on pan and sear for 5 minutes each side.
3. Introduce your herbs on the exposed parts of pan
4. Turn down to medium and introduce sauces and sugar.
5. Let cook 2 minutes.
6. Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Check back frequently to ensure your sauce is plentiful. If not add 1/4 cup water at a time.
7. Garnish with scallions.