My middle son has such bad allergies that I find I limit him on certain grains and dairy once the allergies hit in fall and spring. One of the spices I use to combat his congestion is actually curry. And since I don't cook with regular potatoes much, he enjoys this particular soup. The recipe was handed down from my mother who learned of the recipe from her mother. I did leave out the coconut milk.
Curry Chicken Soup Recipe
3 lbs chicken thigh meat (boneless, skinless, chopped)
7-8 medium potatoes
1 cup carrots
1 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp lemongrass, minced.
6 TBSP curry powder, if you prefer less spicy add less.
2 tbsp olive oil
12 cups filtered water
1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
8 tbsp fish sauce, divided use
1/2 cup whole coconut milk to add with boiling water
thai peppers, optional upon serving
Prep time-10 minutes
Cook time- 40 minutes
Total time- 50 minutes
1. Boil your water in a large pot.
2. Skin your potatoes, and then chop into cubes.
3. Add cubed potatoes and carrots to boiling water, then turn down heat to medium. Allow to boil for 10 minutes.
4. Heat wok or pan on high Add olive oil. Turn down heat to medium.
5. Add minced garlic, gently tossing for 1-2 minutes until roasted.
6. Add chopped onions and minced lemongrass. Salute for several minutes.
7. Introduce chopped chicken thigh meat and saute for 7-8 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and 3 tbsp fish sauce.
8. Add sautéed chicken and sauces to large pot of water with potatoes.
9. Add the remaining 5 tbsp fish sauce and let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes on medium-low heat.
10. Enjoy with toasted french bread!